Vinnies NSW has now entered its 4th year delivering Local Area Coordination (LAC) services in the Hunter region. In that time, we have supported more than 13,000 Hunter residents to access and use the NDIS.
As LACs, we support people with disability, their families and carers to:
- Understand and access the NDIS
- Create and use their first NDIS plans
- Review and use subsequent NDIS plans
- Connect to community and mainstream supports
- Understand the role of informal supports
We are invested in understanding and being connected to the Hunter region and its residents. We do this by:
- Sharing information about the NDIS with various groups and individuals in the community
- Investing significant time working with:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities
- Culturally and Linguistically Diverse communities
- People who are homeless or at risk of homelessness
- LGBTQIA+ communities
- Rural and remote communities
- People with a mental illness
- Supporting people with disability who aren’t eligible for funded supports to connect with community and mainstream supports
- Building the capacity of community and mainstream services to support people with disability
In our work, we strive to deliver culturally competent services by:
- Employing identified Aboriginal LACs to work with Aboriginal people with disability, their families and carers
- Employing staff dedicated to building the capacity of Aboriginal and multicultural communities
- Working with Aboriginal community groups and organisations to improve first nation peoples’ knowledge and access to the NDIS
- Having resources available for people with disability in relevant community languages
“Progress for my child was possible due to the understanding you showed and the supports they were able to access. You go above and beyond for the participants,” said one parent.
If you, a friend or family member wants to know more about the NDIS or how we can support you to connect with community and mainstream services please come and find us at the expo.
Find out more about Vinnies NSW LAC services by going to https://lac.vinnies.org.au/, phoning 1800 794 934 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Better yet, come along to the Just Live! Hunter Disability Expo at Newcastle Racecourse, April 3 and 4. Chat with us face to face. Register here to attend this free event.